Tuesday 12 June 2018

How I Shop for Bags


I love bags. Bags and shoes. I always say they're my "things" but in reality, isn't that the case for all girls?

Today, though, I'm going to explain how I shop for my much-loved arm candy. In my collection, there are three types of bags:

Seasonal

You know how it is nowadays: each season, there's a super-coveted bag trend that takes over your Instagram feed and you just have to indulge. I, for one, am seduced every time, and don't even try to resist temptation. I mean, the FOMO is real, guys! However, I find it really hard to choose just one piece as the stores begin to stock their shelves with their individual versions and that's a problem for my bank balance. This season, like last summer, it's all about the basket bag. So far, I've stuck faithfully to my Topshop Bella Tote but I could make a case for why I need all of the ones below to be honest: one with some black detailing would look so cute with a black, floral, summer dress; a darker-toned one would look amazing next to white; and one with gold hardware would match those adorable, new shoes I just got - the list goes on!

This time, I stuck with my gut and chose a plain, neutral straw bag that would go with everything because that's the basis of the interchangeable wardrobe I desire. At the end of the day, I don't want to spend too much time planning how I'm going to style something that will only be around for 1-2 seasons. Moreover, I want to get my wear out of it since it has such a short shelf-life. I also considered the functionality of the bag: this trend has been developed from a style that is taken to the beach year after year therefore I chose to size up and really replicate that vacay vibe.

Shop my pick of trend:

Designer Classics

I'm quite fussy when it comes to adding designer items to my wardrobe because I want them to last a long time, in terms of both durability and style. For that reason, I don't buy the on-trend pieces I was talking about above from haute couture designers (even though I am DESPERATE for one of the GG Marmont quilted leather belt bags!)

My most recent purchase - the Gucci Dionysus GG Supreme shoulder bag - was largely chosen due to its print: I was looking for a piece that was unmistakably Gucci. To have something stand out in that way is one of the things I look for in a designer piece. To read more about it, see here.

Designer Dupes

I do look for dupes of designer bags that are trend-led. As I said earlier, I'm a sucker for a seasonal trend but I am also fully aware that I won't want to wear that style forever. Buying highstreet versions is therefore a win-win for me. Mango and Zara, in particular, seem to study the accessories on the catwalks meticulously, offering great alternatives to the designer versions each season.

This year, I spotted the Mango Seam Cross-Body Bag and it instantly reminded me of the currently-popular Valentino Garavani Rockstud Spike which, let's face it, will be gone from our Instagram screens as quickly as it infiltrated them.



So, how do you guys shop for bags and which style is your favourite this season? Let me know!

Jacqueline xx



Photography by Catherine Booty at Beehive Studios.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig