Sunday 30 December 2018

This Time of Year

I've noticed a shift this year: a shift for the better. A shift towards a more gracious and a less wasteful Christmas.

It's a concept on which Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis has campaigned for some time: why do we splurge on gifts we can't afford? And even if we can afford it, why buy items for the sake of it? It has all got a bit too much.

In a more general sense, Stacey Dooley, among other documentary-makers, have remarked on the waste caused by our consumer habits. This is particularly true of the fast-fashion industry and I've already taken steps to buy less and buy better.

Enjoying the festivities at the Manchester Christmas Markets

When I think of this time of year, what I actually get excited for is mulled wine, pâté, the runniest cheese I can find, spending time with loved ones, making memories, cosy nights in and festive drinks out. I don't think about how much I'm going to receive.

Sipping on some mulled wine

I chose not to take part in the annual blogger gift-guiding this year and instead, rounded up some notes for you on the changes we’ve made:

We set a budget: agree on a budget, any budget, and stick to it. We want to buy property in the new financial year so by setting a Christmas budget, our spare money can go into that more sensible investment.

We only bought the essentials: I needed slippers because, as all dog-owners will know, they don't last long around canine companions, and I also needed new pyjamas = job done.

We took a trip instead: heading for a pre-Christmas jaunt to Paris was more perfect than any gift. More on that in the new year. Make memories, not waste, people ;)

We got social: after losing my paternal grandmother last year and my maternal one this year, the fragility of relationships is always in the forefront of my mind. I want to invest my time in developing meaningful connections with family and friends.

Swapping these leopard-print boots for a new pair of slippers this holiday season

Looking forward to the year ahead

I hope you all had a lovely festive period and that 2019 brings you all you've ever dreamed of. I've certainly got some new goals that I'm ready to smash! 

Jacqueline xx


SHOP THE POST




Photography by Marta Ferenc

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig